A POST BY BARONESS GOUDIE A number of children organisations across the world are coming together with individuals to encourage the international community to ensure that children everywhere enjoy their fundamental rights, free and secure from all forms of commercial and sexual exploitation.
The campaign is proposing and asking suppliers of tourism services to commit to the following Code of Conduct (www.thecode.org):
- Establish an ethical policy regarding the protection of children against sexual exploitation.
- Train their personnel in the country of origin and in travel destinations.
- Include a specific clause in contracts with suppliers that proclaims a common repudiation of child sex.
- Provide information to travelers through appropriate means.
- Provide information to local 'key persons' at destinations.
- Report annually.
The key campaigning organisations are:
- ECPAT/RESPECT (End Child Prostitution, Child Pornography and Trafficking in Children for Sexual Purposes)
- FCCC (The Family and Child Care Centre) a Greek NGO
- IFJ (The International Federation of Journalists)
- TDH (Terre des Hommes) a network of organisations that work for the rights of the child
- WTO (The World Tourism Organisation) a UN intergovernmental organisation